Monday, May 01, 2006

mmm....that is a tough one....

Today is a huge day for those educated about the current happenings of immigration rights, and what the government is trying to do to them. There are huge rallies being held in NY, LA, and of course our fair city of Chicago. Emily learned a lot yesterday about what is going on with immigration rights and share her concerns with me. I have a LONG way to go before I am educated and knowledgeable about the whole mess, but what I DO know is that what Congress and the Senate are currently proposing fells like it is just a hair away from the Fugitive Slave Law of 1850. Immigrants being charged with felonies, insuring that they can NEVER apply to come to the USA leagally again. Those who help or harbor illegal immigrants also charged with felonies, making it a felony to even buy a meal for some one when you have the knowledge that they are illegal, how do these things help the situation. It all smacks a bit of McCarthyism to me. It doesn't encourage immigrant not to come here illegally, it simply means that more families will be torn apart and they will have fewer advocates to help them become legal while they are here. I greatly resent being told that I cannot help a fellow human being ,strive for a better life without the risk of imprisonment or hefty fines!!!! (not to metion a criminal record!) It is insanity! If you don't knwo what is going on PLEASE join me in caring enough to educate yourself to what is about to happen in Washington D.C.

On to lighter subjects....the random picture to identify last entry....well I had three interesting responses...MLE was correct then she double guesssed herself (oh so common) and backtracked. It is the Ebola virus. Ok let's see what you all think of this one....Let me knwo what you think it is. ( well I will post the picture as soon as Blogger sees fit to allow me to do so.....so you will alll just have to wait for it (yes all four of you who read this blog!) :)
Keep up the good work everybody, if we don't give up we might just make it through this day.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Ya umm. remember the long deep talks we used to have in college and on the phone. Seriously what happened to me. I certainly do miss the way we that we were able to communicate. And the fact that she can't read me is quite annoying. And ya we seriously keep butting heads with our communication styles. I miss the good ole days.

Mellifluous said...

This issue generally is difficult for me because I don't fit in either "camp" per se.

We spent the last 2 weeks in Sunday School looking at verses from the old and new testaments on how to treat the alien and those in need. It is clear that we should not treat these people differently...

So, then, we should love them and care for them...but they should also be required to follow the rules of our nation(OT principle). Those that come here illegally are then violating those laws. Romans 13:1-2 - "1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

OK, so then what needs to be fixed are the laws, so that people can immigrate legally without the struggles that seem to go on. And these people dream of the better life here enough to die to make it across...so why not work together to make it safer for everyone?