Friday, October 21, 2005

Thieving can be good...

Let me clarify that title. Yesterday two people I know went around Northern Chicago looking at all the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times newspapers boxes, to see if they still had the promotional cardboard advertisement at the bottom. See the White Sox are in the World Series....GO SOX!...and these two people have an uncle who has been a Sox fan (dies hard fan) forever. So these two have decided that they were going to send him stuff about the games from the local papers and such. They started doing this at the beginning of the playoffs. So now we are at the World Series (very exciting) so they went to gather these for their Uncle. Technically it is stealing. Native Chicagoans have assured these people that the newspapers KNOW and EXPECT the posters to be taken. But it still felt like stealing to these to people....at first. Then as they had some success in finding both of the ones they wanted one of them realized a very important thing. Have you ever wondered where those fans in the stands get the signs that are just alike and say something like 'Bring it Home! GO SOX' Well This person realized that MANY fans are thieves! The papers DO expect them to be stolen..er..taken. So in the end these two people have become just a little more of Chicagoans than they were before. Moral of the story...stealing money, cars, personal property BAD, taking newspaper promotions not a crime. (at least not in Chicago) So on this the first day of the 2005 World Series between the Chicago White Sox and the other team who isn't going to win I just want to say 'Bring it Home! GO SOX!'

4 comments:

Mellifluous said...

So, I've heard that most Sox fans are from the South side of Chicago and Cubs fans are from the North side. I've also heard they are adamatly(sp?) opposed to each other. Have you run into that?

maddie said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! My grandparents are HUGE Cubbies fans so by de-fault when I moved to CHicago I was a Cubs fan (though I didn't really care to much) Within two months of the season I was more of a White Sox fan than a Cubs fan, even though I live on the North side of Chi-town. Even though the White Sox were up like umpteen games over EVERYONE in the MLB all we heard about both on tv and in the papers were the Cubs(and they sucked)!!!! It made me so mad! The Sox don't get their just due here in the Windy city, and yes as a general rule it is just like the civil war North vs. South (I am rather amused with that little pun well not really a pun but well you know what i mean, allusion is that the word I am wanting? anyway I digress..) what was I talking about hold on let me re-read...ah yes...Yes there are many in Chicago that even tho a Chicago team is in the World series they will not root for them because it is the wrong Chicago team. To them I thumb my nose.
"Do you thumb your nose at me sir?
-Is the law on my side if I say 'Aye?'
-Nay!
-then no sir, I do not thumb my nose at you sir, but I DO thumb my nose!"
GO SOX!!!

Mellifluous said...

My friend Jen is from the suburbs there...and her mom got free tickets to a Sox game once. Because she went, she had a few friends who wouldn't talk to her for a week. I'd say there's a serious split there.

I recall the quote vaguely, but I'm not coming up with what it's from. help me out

maddie said...

Romeo and Juliet at the beginning one of Romeos cousins is talking ot some of Juliets cousins, things get outta hand and they are all hauled into the magistrate with the heads of the houses being called in as well.
It was a common quote with my friends in college, we often 'thumbed our noses' at each other.